Corwin P. Groom at Medical School and Courtship of Mabel Grier

By Mike Groom
Corwin Peter Groom was born on November 11, 1883 on farm in Sergeant, Nebraska. As a boy he attended local schools. In 1906 he enrolled in Medical School at the University of Louisville, in Louisville, Kentucky and attended that institution for two years. There after, he transferred to Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois, graduating in 1909.

How my parents, Corwin and Mabel, Met
from John D. Groom

One time while Corwin was in medical school at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois, he went to visit some of his friends in Andover, Kansas. Andover was a little town just outside of Wichita. It wasn’t really very far from his school.
It was common at that time to have Sunday church socials. Since it was warm weather, the Methodist church had a picnic on the outskirts of town. Everyone would bring something to the picnic. It was at this picnic that Corwin met Mabel Grier. She was about three years younger than he was, a petite woman, and very beautiful with red hair. Corwin, though the rest of his family were small people, was tall (6'4"). He was large framed, and very handsome with dark hair and a deep bass voice. She was attending a teachers preparatory college called Fairmont college, in Wichita, Kansas. In those days teachers did not go to regular colleges, but to special teacher schools.

The Courtship of Corwin and Mabel by John Groom
They got writing to each other. Their courtship lasted a year or two until they both finished school. Once Mabel was writing and said, "Corwin, I have to stop now because I promised to make Virgil (her brother) fudge, and he wants it now." They also visited several times during Christmas and other vacations. Mabel always cherished these love letters and later kept them in a closet in their Pocatello home. There was a stack of letters, kept in their envelopes, about 24" thick.
Mabel graduated in June of 1905 and taught for a year or two until they married.
To become a doctor in those days, you were required to go school four years after high school. You also had to work for a physician for a year either before or after attending medical school. So, after graduating from Northwestern University medical school in 1906, Corwin did his apprenticeship at the State Hospital in Kansas. Corwin and Mabel were married around this time.
In a letter written by Corwin Peter Groom to Mabel Grier on December 16, 1908 from Chicago, he speaks to his fiancee of the upcoming wedding. {The postage on the letter was two cents}

Chicago December 16, 1908

My Darling Mabel,

Sweetheart Dear. Well that my lost nights better would be the last to my darling. But received you dear good letter this a.m. so have to answer it.
Say darling, did you ever see anything that looks quite as fine as our wedding invitation! I think they are just fine darling and my, but don't they look good! I just can't hardly wait to see you dear to tell how happy I am. And to receive such good letters as yours was this a.m. would make anyone feel happy. I enjoyed it so much. Am so glad you are happy too, darling.
If your thinking that I love you dear makes you happy, you will have to do lots of hard thinking to get the happiness that is due you. For darling, I love you beyond the joys of expression in words. I never knew what life or love was sweetheart till I met you and from the first time I ever saw you, I loved you. I never will forget dear, the first night we meet and how I acted and felt when I met you. I just couldn't get away from you. Didn't know what was the attraction then, but can look back now and see that is was love at first sight.
But I've always been glad it was that way, dear, and am only anxious for more love and sight of you. You have been the only girl I ever wanted and have wanted you for my own little darling ever since we first meet.
So now as the time is so near, when you will at last be my darling wife, it makes me the happiest man in all the world. And to add to my happiness, I know that you love me with all your heart and no one else but me.
Darling, I bought the ring today and say, I just think it is fine and has the prettiest engraving on it. I know you will like to too dear. Got it at one of the Big Jewelry houses. The fellow says they are the lastest out and all the go.
Yes dear, expect I have read about my last letter from Mabel Grier. But somehow I am getting kind of tired of getting letters from her anyway and am also tired of writing to her. So just think I'll cut her off my list and quite receiving and writing to her. And just in my spare time with my darling little jewel wife (Mrs. Dr. C.P. Groom) Ha Ha. She is the dearest woman on earth anyway and I love her better than anyone else.
Suppose wedding talk will be chief news around Andover for the next few days. Suppose Mrs. Cook will have laid in doing the work while she stands at the phone so as to be sure not to miss any of it. Was very sorry to hear of the death of Mary's father.
Well darling, I must close and go to supper. Good luck and Best wishes to the bride. All my love to my darling sweetheart.

Lovingly, Corwin.


Two other letters exist written by Corwin Peter Groom to Mabel Grier prior to their marriage. The first is dated from Chicago on December 12, 1907 and reads:

My Darling Mabel

Say dear love. Excuse me for this extra edition, but I just can't help it. For I can't think of what I am studying long enough to get any good out of it. So just quit and am going to write to the dear little girl that I am thinking about. Oh, I am awfully affected. Can't study or go to school or hardly do anything without thinking about you, about three-fourths of the time. So will try to reproduce some of my thoughts in writing.
The thing I am thinking about most is that in just one week from tonight I will be loving my darling Mabel for the first time almost three long months. Gee but that [sounds] good to me. Just to think of only a week from tonight of being cuddled up in the spoon holder with the dearest and sweetest little girl in my arms.
Makes me so nervous. I can hardly wait until the time comes. But maybe that will be to soon for you. If you haven't been expecting me until Sunday night? But if I get home safe and sound right side of [?] on Wednesday night December 18th. I can never wait until Sunday to see you, my darling. So will have to come on Thursday night. So have the spoon holder wired and braced so it will hold two and be prepared yourself for the most loving that you have had on bunch (by me).
I will leave here Tuesday night, so you be hoping that the car stays on the track, top side up as I want to get home all together, if possible. And if I thought I wouldn't, well I would walk through on a tie pass. May have to go part of the way that way anyhow.
Received your good letter yesterday a.m. and enjoyed dandy fine. Was glad to see that you were still anxiously waiting for me. Oh, but it is a joy to have a dear sweet girl waiting for me and waiting as kind and true as an angel in heaven. Really, sweetheart, I never knew before what it was like to love and be mind and soul interested in anyone until I met you. And more, of course, since I left you this last time. But guess that is what they call love. But whatever it is, is certainly fine.
Well, all this love talk I am giving you now I will put off until I see you. Then I can deliver it with demonstrations and it may make a better impression.
Well, bye bye dear love. It won't be long after you get this until you will hear of one in sunny Kansas. So have several big hugs saved up and ready for me. And have your pa stored away, so he can't see our meeting lest it might effect his respiratory function. Hoping that all will be well and to be loving you soon. I will hang up. Loving you better as ever before.

Loving Corwin


The second letter of February 18, 1908 reads:

My own darling Mabel,

Sweetheart dear, I expect you will be surprised at this extra edition but felt as though I had nothing to do for a few minutes and there is nobody on earth that I think of as much in my few idle times as you. I thought I would put a few thoughts into writing about the weather.


Northwestern University at Chicago, Illinois
Posted by Picasa

Comments